Call for Scores
New Voices Opera is calling for scores for its Fall 2021 Exhibition. Submissions criteria and guidelines are given below. Every effort will be made to give all submissions a public performance at the Exhibition. This means if there is an abundance of submissions, cuts will be made in order to stay within our time limit, either interior cuts, or of entire submissions. Score submissions are due with a hard deadline on Monday, September 6, 2021. If you are able to submit your score early, please do. The more time singers have to look at the works, the better represented your composition will be. Singers will be selected by audition. If you have a preference of who you would like to sing a role, please encourage them to audition.
We will accept both scenes from operas in progress as well as individual songs. Previous experience writing for the operatic medium is not required. As per Opera America, opera is defined as a music-theater experience with a dramatic arc written for voice or voices accompanied by instruments. Please indicate in your application if you would like to be considered for selection for a 2024 staged opera production. Materials can be submitted via Google Form: https://forms.gle/gxWW256Yr3NSuNqM8. We reserve the right not to select any score for the 2024 production if the jury feels there is not a submission that meets our selection criteria.
Please be sure to double-check the criteria below to ensure you are submitting all required materials.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Scene/Song Submission Required Materials:
● Piano-vocal score preferred
● Please do not include any identifying information on the score, as our submissions will be judged blindly
● Include duration (overestimate, DO NOT underestimate). Ideally, the scene/song will be less than 10 minutes. We reserve the right to
make cuts for performance as needed.
● MP3 recording (MIDIs are acceptable)
If you wish to be considered for selection for our 2024 production, we will also require:
● Written proposal for your opera (1 page max). This proposal does not have to necessarily match your musical submission.
● A proposed scenic breakdown of the opera, if not included in the proposal, including any/all of the libretto that is currently complete,
with translation (if applicable)
● If using text outside of the public domain, please include proof of consent from the author(s)/estate to use their text
● Character names and descriptions; include voice types and ranges
● Names and 100 word bios for any collaborators
Because of our 2 year development timeline, we recommend submitting works that are indicative of your strengths as a composer, particularly in writing for the voice!
Email any questions to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing your music!